Animal Crossing Forums

Official Forums of AnimalXing.com
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gulliver: Confusion of Time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:25 pm 
Most Excited for AC3DS

OK, I saw his spaceship in 10:07 a.m. and didn't shooted it.
I advanced one hour by using Wii's clock to catch it again, and it didn't return.
Now, I TTed back one hour and still no sign of him. Then, I was TTing one hour on each play and it didn't came again. :x
Somewhere on the Internet, I found that his spaceship may appear more than once in a day.

What wrong with my game? It is acting evil or what?

Post subject: Re: Gulliver: Confusion of Time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:49 pm 
Villager

I believe he only appears once, but if you aren't outside when the time comes, then you'll get the chance again later. I'm not sure though.

The only alternative I can think of slightly insults your intelligence, but here it comes. When yo time traveled, did you do so to exactly 7 past the hour so that by the time you got on it was minute or two later?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:55 pm 
Most Excited for AC3DS

I'd rather set XX:00 when I start playing. Could use resetting here...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:22 pm 
Junior Villager

*loud Sirens* Me: Uh oh, here comes resetti! Quick! Grab some earplugs! Threre's still time!... Oh crap.

Resetti: Oh, you again!

Me: RUN!!!

Resetti: Come back so I can bore you to death with one of my super long lectures!

Hahahahahaha :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm 
Junior Villager

After restarting, you have to enter Tom Nook's, The Able Sister's, or the Town Hall before he spawns. You may also need to speak to Booker again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:04 pm 
Most Excited for AC3DS

Booker won't tell you if Gulliver's here. However, if he said there's no visitor in your town, either Pete, Pascal or Gulliver will show up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:10 pm 
Junior Villager

TheBigJC7777777 wrote:
Booker won't tell you if Gulliver's here. However, if he said there's no visitor in your town, either Pete, Pascal or Gulliver will show up.

Yeah, I know, I think he says ''Oh- I- I'm terribly sorry! I'll be alert next time!''

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:20 pm 
Villager

Speaking to Booker is not required for Gulliver to appear. i have experience to back that claim. Besides, it would be stupid the other way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm 
Automatic Schmuck

Gulliver does appear more than once, but not throughout the day.
In my experience, he appears and flies from one side of your town to the other multiple times. If you don't get him in one of those times, you've missed your chance.

However, I am not 100 percent certain about that. It's just my experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:46 pm 
Villager

I tagged Gulliver at 10:07 AM today. This is the third time I've been able to shoot him down & each time it's been 10:07 AM. One time that I did miss him at the appointed time, I started to turn to leave & he immediately came flying back from the opposite direction. So yes, he does make return flights, sometimes right away even. I'd only heard/seen him 2 times previously & one of those was at 10:07 PM. Don't recall what time the first instance was, but it may have been 10:07 AM as well. If so, this is a rather interesting pattern.

Region: USA
Screenname: jedicrippler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:19 am 
Villager

I am going to repost this, tidied up a bit, it answers some of the questions & it backs up what Garfield says about the spaceship going back & forth.
I know, it is just too long, but it will enable you to see & shoot Gulliver.

I've heard him 3 times, seen him twice - managed to shoot him down once.

The spaceship follows the same routes as the balloons do
- I think there are 3 routes for balloons across the town - & he will fly (either way) along one of these east - west routes. The routes are on acre boundaries.

Gulliver comes across the town when you first play the game for the day at 02 or 07 past the hour.
- so if you start playing at 9.30am - be ready with a sling shot at 10.02 & 10.07 - and be waiting on one of those balloon routes

He may fly by at any xx.02/xx.07 time during the day or night, I don't know for sure, but for ease of waiting for him to appear, I have assumed that he will fly by on the first play of the day - ie on the first xx.02 or xx.07 times.

Which balloon route? I have read that he will pass along whichever one you are on, but again I don't know.

Well I tried this info out:
- started the game 10.45am and at 11.07am I saw him - the ship was very close to me
- I must have been standing on the balloon route rather than where the shadow of the balloon falls on the ground
- so the sling shot didn't shoot him down & I was unlucky to have 2 villagers blocking the way so I couldn't move after him.
Plus I was next to a ramp which would also have slowed me down running after him.

So where you stand waiting for him is important - find out your balloon routes - more specifically the shadow routes the balloons make on the ground.
And try the above - its certainly better than never seeing him.

I have also read that if you miss him the first time he MAY appear again in one of the following hours at 02 or 07 past the hour.
Most of the time I have only heard or seen him once per day.
He may have flown by again for me - but as I tend to get on with other things and move out of the acre, I wouldn't necessarily have heard him.

There may be the possibility of him flying by again, if you save & reload the game with another character - something I've not tried.

His visits are random, but if it follows acww then you can expect him roughly every 2 to 3 weeks - tho in theory you could get him fly by two weeks in a row (I never did in acww).
The first time I saw him was on Thursday 14th May (shot at him but missed) & he flew by again on the following Monday 18th May. (this time I shot him down).
So two weeks in a row.
I heard but didn't see him on Monday 1st June (ie 2 weeks later) - I didn't follow the waiting pattern above, just too busy, new month and all.

Gulliver appears on a week day when you have no other special visitor, and because Gulliver is a 2 day affair
- shoot him down one day, see him on the beach the next day (to give him the spaceship part)
- he will only fly by on a Monday through Thursday - but again I don't know for sure if this is correct:
Can't really see why he couldn't fly by on a Friday and appear on the beach Saturday morning? (KK slider is in the evening & didn't stop other visitors in acww).

The time I shot him down:

I picked a spot not far from the West cliff, on the mid balloon route, I started the game around 11.30 am, so was in position with sling shot in hand by noon.
Around 12.05 I got a balloon fly over, I was using a fairly new character, and the balloon was the 3 gold ones, so of course I decided to go for it, totally forgetting Gulliver.
As I picked up the gold slingshot, you get the text box appear, so the character is unable to move for a few seconds
- and the spaceship flies over, time 12.07, flying from the east & as I was near the west cliff there wasn't much time before he left town.
So I had missed him.
Gutted, I didn't move from the area tho, just stood there in disappointment.
Just as well, for within a minute or so he returned flying the other way (ie west to east).
On the same balloon route. I had to run, but I did get him.

I found the cog (space ship part, looks as it did in wild world) soon after shooting Gulliver down, took me about me about 20 mins to find
- it was difficult to see, as it was sandwiched between a tree & a cliff wall.
It was in the general area of where I shot him down
- so it might be worth searching in the acre you shot him down first & move outwards from that.

You don't find Gulliver the day you shoot him down, he will be on the beach the next day, close to his wrecked spaceship.
You have to wake him up, as you did in wild world.
I gave him the spaceship part and I got the Russian dolls (Matryoshka) as my gift.
Good dialog, better than his dialog in wild world.

You can see Gulliver and talk to him with all your characters, but only the character that shoots him down is able to get a gift from him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:59 pm 
Busy Villager

Interesting... I'm sure this will help people a lot if they're trying to get Gulliver.
One thing, though: aren't there just two balloon routes - the top row of the second and third acre?

Trade/Meeting Report

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:17 pm 
Villager

There's definitely three balloon paths. Acres 1 & 2 border, acres 2 & 3 & acres 3 & 4. Not sure if I've seen him take the third path before, but I've definitely shot him down on the first 2 paths.

Region: USA
Screenname: jedicrippler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:19 pm 
Automatic Schmuck

Thank you very much for the help, katysu! I will definitely use your information and might be able to shoot him down more frequently. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 am 
3D Villager

Thanks a bunch katysu! I'm sure your info will help ;)
I'll have to put it to the test on monday :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:08 pm 
Busy Villager

jedicrippler wrote:
There's definitely three balloon paths. Acres 1 & 2 border, acres 2 & 3 & acres 3 & 4. Not sure if I've seen him take the third path before, but I've definitely shot him down on the first 2 paths.

According to the CF Wiki, there really are the three balloon paths you mentioned (which I didn't know about). It also states that Gulliver only appears on the first two routes, which coincides with your with your observation.

Trade/Meeting Report

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm 
Villager

I'll confirm there are 3 balloon routes.

I don't know my acre boundaries (I'v always done PTS by eye).
Its easy to map the routes if you have a hard copy of your town map.
But without, its still possible to do - I made a note of where I shoot the balloons down - and from your map onscreen you can see the line they follow - eventually you have enough 'shot down balloon points' to have an accurate route. (or just follow one balloon along)

As to whether Gulliver can fly on the southernmost route
- I think I've seen a post which said they have seen him on this one
- embarassingly I may have shot him down on this route too - I will check once I am back to the game (currently playing wild world, accf in stasis).

I don't know whether this info is correct or not:
If Gulliver appears - he will appear on the route you are nearest to.
When you move out of an acre you might not see Gulliver (and may not even hear him)
- lots of players (including myself) say they have heard him but never seen him.
This suggests that Gulliver does not follow the route you are nearest to. Needs more research.

The time I saw him, but missed him, he was very close to me, it felt virtually overhead - I shot at him and the slingshot pellets just went through him - exactly the same as can happen when you shoot at a balloon but are not on the shadow the balloon makes on the ground.

When I saw & successfully shot him - I made sure I was standing on the shadow route the balloons make on the ground, not on the balloon route itself.

But this is just one example, and it happened very fast - so more reports are needed before any definite conclusions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:29 am 
Popular Villager

Does the noise his spaceship makes sound the same as it did on WW?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:20 am 
Villager

Guitar wrote:
Does the noise his spaceship makes sound the same as it did on WW?

Yes very similar to the noise in acww.

& reading my first post - I did shoot Gulliver down on the mid balloon route, not the most southern one as I thought. (the price for not currently playing the game).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 am 
Villager

I've seen him do a U-Turn after leaving the edge of the map.